Steps for collecting a saliva sample:
Please note that some tests may require multiple samples. Count the number of saliva collection tubes included in your test kit to determine the number of saliva samples required.
- If you require one sample, collect your sample in the morning (30 minutes after waking).
- If you require two samples, collect one same in the morning (30 minutes after waking) and one at night (before bed).
- If you require four samples, collect one sample in the morning (30 minutes after waking), one at noon, one in the evening (around 4 pm), and one at night (before bed).
DO NOT eat, drink, chew gum, brush your teeth, use mouthwash, tobacco, or smoke for at least 60 minutes prior to collecting your sample.
3) Collect Your Sample
Fill the tube approximately 75% full with saliva (not including bubbles). It is okay if there is more saliva, but less saliva may not be enough to test. Tightly cap the tube when complete. Repeat for each required tube.
Please contact us if you have trouble producing enough saliva.
4) Get Your Sample Lab-Ready
Make sure all the required information is on the tube, then place it inside the biohazard bag, seal it, and put it into the clamshell.
Guidelines for Men and Women on Hormone Therapy
Speak to your physician prior to collecting your sample – do not stop taking medications without instruction from your physician.
Topical Hormones (Cream or Gel) - Do not apply any topical hormones throughout the day of saliva collection. Collect saliva 12-24 hours after the last dose.
Sublingual Hormones or Troches - Do not use any sublingual hormones throughout the day of (Dissolved Under Tongue) saliva collection. Collect saliva 12-24 hours after the last dose.
Oral Hormones (Pills) - If taking progesterone, collect saliva 6-10 hours after the last dose. For all other hormones, collect saliva 12-24 hours after the last dose.
Injections and Pellets - The recommended saliva collection interval is mid-regimen.
Transdermal Patches - Collect saliva 1-2 days after applying the patch.
Cortisol Supplementation - Consult with your provider for instructions if you are taking cortisol supplementation for adrenal support. When testing cortisol (for baseline adrenal function), stop using cortisol-containing products 5 days prior to saliva collection.
Recommended Guidelines for Women (NOT ON HORMONES)
Women with regular menstrual cycles - Collect saliva between days 19-21 of your cycle, counting the first day of your period as day 1.
Women with irregular menstrual cycles - Collect saliva when not bleeding.
Post-menopausal women or women who have had a hysterectomy - Collect saliva any day of the month.
Guidelines for Men (NOT ON HORMONES)
Men not on hormone supplements - Collect saliva any day of the month.
Saliva Sample Collection Tips
- Read the instructions and view the video before you start
- Register your kit before you start
- Label the tube with your name and date/time of collection
- Open the tube when you are ready, and tightly replace the cap when you are done
- Put the tube inside the biohazard bag before shipment
- Send your sample back within 24 hours of collection
- Eat or drink for at least 60 minutes before collecting your sample
- Use tobacco, brush your teeth, use mouthwash, or chew gum for at least 60 minutes before collecting your sample
- Forget to register your kit before mailing your sample back to the lab
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article